Monday, September 8, 2014

Layered Eggplant, Zucchini, and Tomato Casserole

This one's from Monica who picks up at our stand at the Pittsburgh Public Market. Thanks Monica! I seriously just put Feta on my shopping list. 

Monica writes "I have a recipe for yinz. It is so incredibly delicious! I adapted it (pretty significantly) from a recipe I found on Food & Wine’s website to use up some veggies that I hadn’t touched yet from the prior week(s)! Here’s my version:

2 Patty Pans (zucchini works too)
1 large eggplant, cut lengthwise into ¼ in. pieces (I sliced mine REALLY thin)
2 leeks
2-3 tomatoes, cut into ½ in pieces
4 cloves of garlic, minced (I love garlic. A lot)
4 oz. feta cheese
2 oz-ish parmesan cheese ( was pretty generous with the parmesan on top)
¼ c chopped basil
1/3 c breadcrumbs

1.       Prehead the oven to 425. Oil a large baking sheet and line up the zucchini/patty pans and eggplant, they can overlap a bit.  Then brush them with olive oil and sprinkle a little salt on them.  Bake for 10 minutes, until tender.
2.       Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat up a little olive oil. Add the chopped up leeks and garlic, and cook over moderate heat for a few minutes, then crank up the head and add the tomatoes. Cook for a minute or two, until bubbling.  I added some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried basil with the tomatoes.
3.       Oil a square baking dish then lay everything in layers (use half of each ingredient in the layers so you can –  Eggplant, tomatoes, feta, zucchini/patty pan, a sprinkle of parmesan, More eggplant, tomatoes, feta, zucchini/patty pan.
4.       Top it all off with breadcrumbs mixed with a bit of parmesan cheese and a 1T of olive oil. 
5.       Pop it in the oven for about 20 minutes at 425 and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment