Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Tomato Eggplant Soup


This recipes comes to us from Jenn, who picks her share up at the Market Square Farmers' Market on Thursdays.

This turned out really good, super fresh tasting, very easy, and it's almost 100% CSA veggies.

I preheated my oven to 425 and got 2 baking pans ready.

In a bowl I added:  about 5 tomatoes quartered (I used red, green, and heirloom mixture), 2 large left over scallions chopped large, 2 small carrots quartered, about half a head of garlic separated and peeled, olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Mix this together and spread into baking pan #1.

In the same bowl I added:  1 eggplant chopped to 1-1.5 inch cubes, 1 medium potato quartered, olive oil, salt, pepper, lots of dried oregano and basil.  Mix and add to pan #2.

Put both pans in the over and roast the veggies for about 45 minutes - 1 hour, mixing about halfway through.  (I also threw my beets in some foil and cooked them at the same time to kill 2 birds with 1 stone)

Once everything is tender I took the pans out and let them cool down a bit.  I removed the skins from the tomatoes and threw the tomato mixture (juices and all) and the potato pieces from the eggplant pan in the blender until smooth.  Pour this into a pan and add the eggplant mixture along with as much water to make the soup as thick or thin as you prefer.  Then I just simmered it for a while until the flavors came together.

I kept my soup thick, like a bisque, because I think it will be really good over pasta, which will be tomorrows lunch :-)     It made a good bit so I plan to freeze some for a fall treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment