Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Wed/Thurs - Week # 4




Hi,

I hope you are all enjoying this first week of summer. We have a wonderful early summer bounty to share this week, including broccoli, cucumbers, basil, red cabbage and summer squash (either green/yellow zucchini, yellow crookneck, or patty pans). in addition to that, the full shares also have a head of green butterhead lettuce, a bunch or rainbow chard, and a head of cauliflower.

Before I go on, I'd like to remind you to please remember to return your bags. They are a new idea we decided to try this year, and so far we are very happy with them--but--we NEED you to return the bags each week for this to work out.

As it is the start of summer, we have included a couple summer squash (either green/yellow zucchini, yellow crookneck, or patty pan) in each share this week. These wonderful vegetables each have their own unique shape/size/color, but all have a similar flavor and can be prepared in the same ways. They can be cooked or pureed into stews, braised, stir fried, grilled, or deep fried. I'm sure most of you are already quite acquainted with broccoli and know what to do with it, and I will trust the same is true for the cucumbers. The cabbage this week is red, but you prepare it in all the same ways as the green. I was really hoping people would share some good recipes for the cabbage; since it's so versatile, I'd like to see all the different ways people prepare theirs (so send some recipes in!).

I almost forgot to mention the basil! Basil has got to be my favorite summer herb; I think it's great in pretty much anything--even just in water, like a lemon wedge. One of my favorite things to do with basil is to use it in a gimlet (gin & lime drink). I highly recommend trying it. Whatever you use the basil for, remember that it's a very tender and sensitive herb, so it won't stay well in your fridge, or in your house if it's too hot. It will stay best if you put the whole bunch in a glass and put a little water in the bottom so the stems reach it. Of course, the smartest (and tastiest) course of action is just to use it as quickly as possible.

In our full shares this week we have also included chard; which, as I said before, is my favorite green of all--so I hope you enjoy it. I know a lot of people cut off and throw away the stalks on their greens, but I encourage you to try them--I think they are some of the best part. You have to cook them for longer though, so make sure to put them in a few minutes before you add the leafs. You can also keep all of your 'clippings' in a bag in your freezer and every now and then make a vegetable stock ut of it. A friend of mine does this to great success; just boil everything together for a good while, strain, and you have your own home-made stock, made entirely of parts you would have thrown away otherwise. The full shares also have a head of cauliflower; which is prepared just like it's cousin broccoli, but has a distinctively different flavor. I like it best in Indian-style dishes. In fact, I used to really dislike cauliflower until I had it in a curry, and completely changed my mind.

Some of you have already asked about next week, since Wednesday is the 4th of July. We are moving the pick-up for next week to Tuesday, July 3, in order to make it more convenient for all of you and our site hosts as well. I will send out another reminder, but please be aware of this now. The pick-up times and locations will all be the same, just the day will shift.

Please remember to return your bags.

As always, if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.

Enjoy!

-Mark


No comments:

Post a Comment