Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sunday - Week # 3



Hi,

It's hard to believe, but our third week is already upon us. I don't know about you, but I think this last week we really started to find our rhythm for the season in terms of putting this all together every week. I also get a full share on Sundays, and I think I am just getting used to cooking/eating all my produce every week as well. This week we have a lot of new items for you to enjoy. Every share has fennel, red kale, romaine lettuce, salad mix (loose-leaf lettuce), red spring onions, and either garlic scapes or garlic scallions (also known as green garlic). In addition to those items, the full shares have some of our whole wheat flour, and some squash blossoms.

As you already know, it is getting hot and sunny outside; which means our spring produce should be turning to summer in the next couple of weeks. As always, we can never be sure of how things will turn out, but I'm at least planning on this being the last week we include a grain. Next week we should have some summer squash for you, and maybe some beets or cabbge. Certainly we should have those in the next couple of weeks, as well as beans and if all goes well--tomatoes.

I think you will really enjoy the red kale this week; it's slightly more tender and has even more nutrinional value than green kale; which is handily one of the healthiest foods around. I don't know about all of you, but I REALLY enjoy the garlic scapes. There was a post about garlic scape pesto on the blog that I think I'm going to try tonight, though I don't have walnuts, so I'll probably make it an aioli instead. The fennel fronds can also be used for a pesto; there was a great recipe for that shared on our Facebook page last week.

Some of the shares received garlic scallions (also known as green garlic) instead of garlic scapes. Garlic scallions are simply early-harvested garlic. The cloves have not yet formed, so there is just a single, smaller bulb at the end. Because they have not fully developed, they have a sweeter, less spicy, astringent flavor than mature garlic--and the entire plant can be chopped up and eaten. The red spring onions are similar in that they are simply red onions harvested early, so their flavor is a little more sweet and less spicy than mature onions. They are more developed than the garlic though, so I'm not sure how tender/edible their stems are, but feel free to try them.

In our full shares this week we have added our whole wheat flour; which I trust you know what to do with. In addition, there are some squash blossoms; which are another special springtime item with a very short season. They are the flowers of summer squash plants (zucchini, patty pans, crookneck), and have a tender, sweet, green flavor to them. They are a very popular item with the restuarants we sell to, and can be prepared in a number of ways, but stuffing seems to be the most popular.

Please remember to return your bags. You can just leave them in an empty box, or if your location does not have any boxes, just put the bags inside each other as orderly as you can. 

As always, if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.

Enjoy!

-Mark


No comments:

Post a Comment