Monday, June 11, 2012

Garlic Scapes and Walnut Pesto

This recipe comes to us from Jennifer, who picks her share up at Commonplace Coffeehouse in Squirrel Hill.

I have included a brief form of the recipe here, but check our her blog for the complete recipe and more pictures.


Garlic scape and walnut pesto

1 bunch garlic scapes (about 6-10 scapes)
1/3 cup of walnuts (toasted)
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 pinch of salt (~1/4 teaspoon)

I “topped” each garlic scape removing the portion with the blossom bud.  The remaining parts of the scape I cut into roughly 2 inch long pieces.  You can cut them shorter depending on the equipment you’re using. I toasted some shelled walnuts and added them and the scapes to my food processor, along with the salt and olive oil.

Pulse the mixture until you reach the desired consistency. You can adjust the amount of olive oil to your liking.  You may also add grated Parmesan cheese to the mix, but I omit this step for better freezing.  Kept refrigerated in an airtight container, the pesto is good for about a week.  Frozen, it will keep a bit longer.

2 comments:

  1. Love the idea of toasting the walnuts first. I'll try that.

    If you end up with excess scapes, I've posted an article Using and Preserving Garlic Scapes at www.HealthyFrugalista.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this recipe for dinner tonight and it was delicious! I added parmesan cheese and some parsley I had on hand.

    ReplyDelete